Corn and Quinoa Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
Salads are definitely my go-to meal in the summer, and this one is so refreshing, full of flavour, and perfect as a side dish or main meal. If you like the combination of slightly sweet and tart, then you'll love the flavour that honey and lime bring to this salad!
This salad comes together quickly, especially if you use frozen corn kernels and raw red pepper. However, if you have a little extra time, you could try grilling corn cobs and the red pepper for a richer flavour. Filled with protein, fibre and healthy fats, this salad makes for a well balanced, healthy dish, perfect to take to a barbecue or to enjoy at home for.a quick, easy meal!
Ingredients (for 4 side servings or 2 main servings):
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 cup frozen corn kernels (or 3-4 cooked or grilled corn cobs)
1 cup Brussels sprouts, finely chopped (about 7-8)
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tsp lime zest
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, set aside and cool.
2. Microwave or cook the frozen corn (or cook/barbeque corn on the cob, and cut corn off cob once cooled), and add to a large mixing bowl.
3. Chop the Brussels sprouts, red pepper, and green onion, and add to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the feta cheese to the mixing bowl, and mix well until all ingredients are well blended.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well until evenly coated.
6. Chill by storing the salad in the fridge until ready to eat, or serve and enjoy immediately!
If using corn cobs, try grilling for a richer flavour, cutting corn off the cob once cooled. The red peppers canalso be grilled with the corn. Cut red pepper into quarters, grill until slightly charred (turning a few times), let cool, peel off skin and cut into small strips.
For a higher protein content, if enjoying the salad as a meal, simply add some grilled chicken, turkey, tofu, tempeh, or edamame.